Friday, January 30, 2009

Turkey Burgers


I used to love beef - ribs, steak, pot roast, cheeseburgers, etc. I stopped eating beef three years ago, so I had to find substitutes for any of those things I wanted to still eat. Enter: turkey burger.

What you need:
  • 1 package 99% lean ground turkey (I like Shadybrook Farms the best)
  • 1 large carrot
  • Seasonings (I use Season-All as a shortcut)
  • Baby spinach
  • Cheese (for this one I used shredded Mozz; provolone would also be good)
What you do:
  • take out desired portion of turkey to make burger; put in a bowl
  • wash and peel the carrot, then shred with a cheese grater to make it extra fine
  • add your seasonings
  • knead the ground turkey, carrot and seasonings so everything mixes well
  • on medium heat, put patty in frying pan and cook on both sides until the center cooks through
  • when meat is just about finished, lay a few spinach leaves on top with the cheese over them and continue to heat in pan until the cheese has melted
Note: Since you only use a few spinach leaves for each burger, use the rest to make side salads! This one has spinach leaves, shredded carrots, chickpeas, avocado, shredded colby jack cheese, chow mein noodles and raspberry pomegranate dressing.

No comments: