Friday, December 7, 2012

"Christmas is coming, the goose is getting fat..."

No, there will not be a goose on my table at Christmas. There will, however, be a delicious ham and maybe salmon, too!

I love planning elaborate holiday meals. Spending most of my evenings cooking for one or two, I don't often have the chance to plan and prepare a large meal with one or two main courses, several sides and a couple of dessert options. This is the time of year I love when it comes to cooking.

When it comes to Thanksgiving and Christmas, I like to prepare different meals - what is the fun of preparing two feasts only a month apart if they are going to be exactly the same? You with me on this one?

I found a pin on Pinterest with instructions for cooking the ham in a crock pot, rather than the oven. Thoughts? I do sort of love that crisped edge of the ham when it's been baking in the oven for several hours, but a crock pot would free up precious oven space for other baking needs.    

As the planning begins, here is what I am considering for my Christmas meal this year, which will again be shared with local friends as none of us are traveling:

How about you? What are you planning for the next big holiday meal? Here's to happy holidays and a snowy winter ahead!


No comments: