Sunday, June 28, 2009

Honey Sunflower and Flax Seed Bread

I've gotten really into bread making lately. I despise high fructose corn syrup, and there are very few choices of bread that don't contain this gross ingredient. I also don't regularly eat much bread, so part of the loaf is sometimes wasted, which I hate doing. The bottom line is, I can bake a healthier, cheaper, smaller loaf of bread at home than I can purchase at the store. So here was my latest attempt!

What You Need:
  • 1/4 cup honey (I used local - sold where I work from a beekeeper in town)
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened (I used soy margarine, a vegan option)
  • 2 eggs, beaten (free range, vegetarian fed)
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour (I chose organic)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tbs baking powder
  • 1-1/4 cup ground/shelled sunflower seeds (I used raw/organic)
  • 1 cup milk (local & organic)
  • 1/2 cup whole/shelled sunflower seeds (raw/organic)
  • 3 tbs flax seeds
What You Do:
  • Beat honey and butter together; add eggs and beat well.
  • In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and ground seeds. Add the honey, butter and egg mixture. Add the milk, and mix well. *At this point, I realize my batter was not as thick and is should be, and added a few tablespoons more flour*
  • Fold the whole sunflower seeds and flax seeds into the dough, and pour the dough into a greased loaf pan. Sprinkle a few extra flax and sunflower seeds on top of the dough.
  • Bake for ~60 minutes at 325 degrees, covering the top of the loaf with foil if necessary for the last 15 minutes.
  • Cool on a rack for ~15 minutes, then removed loaf from pan.

6 comments:

lynn.chrissy said...

Hey I want to make this over the weekend...but in your ingredient list you have sunflower seeds twice, one is probably supposed to be flax right? Which one is that? :o)

live pura vida said...

No, the recipe is correct. The flax seeds are listed at the bottom (3 tablespoons). Sunflower seeds are listed twice because you need part of them ground (the 1-1/4 cup) and part are supposed to be whole (1/2 cup). After I made it, I would suggest reducing the whole sunflower seeds to maybe 1/4 cup. The bread also didn't keep for very long so I'd use it within the week. It's also not a bread you could really use for sandwiches because it is very thick.

lynn.chrissy said...

oooooooops. JK. I should have read the whole thing eh?

live pura vida said...

mayyyybe ;)

Brandon said...

Thank you so much for the recipe. I am going to try and see if I can make a gluten free version. Does this bread hold up well as a sandwich type bread?

live pura vida said...

I was hoping to use this bread for sandwiches, but it was a little too heavy. It was also difficult to slice thin enough with the sunflower seeds in it. Good luck with the gluten free version! Hope it comes out well.