Thursday, January 14, 2010

Gallo Pinto Remix

With my leftover gallo pinto, I wanted to make a few different meals. The first: burritos.

I use ground turkey as a substitute for beef in any traditional recipe (I do not eat beef). Ground turkey can get a little pricey, especially when using the leanest variety, so not only is this a way to use leftovers, it's a way to extend food dollars. Gallo pinto is rice and black beans, so it can add substantial bulk to a burrito filling meaning you can use less of the ground meat.

What I Used:
  • Lean ground turkey (from a local farm)
  • 40% less sodium taco seasoning
  • Water
  • Gallo pinto
  • Flour tortillas
  • Shredded cheese
What I Did:
  • First, cook the turkey, adding water and taco seasoning as directed on the package.
  • Turn the heat down and add gallo pinto. Keep stirring so rice does not stick to pan, and heat until the beans are warmed through.
  • Once the gallo pinto has been reheated, fill your tortillas (or taco shells) with the ground meat/gallo pinto mix and add your taco/burrito toppings.
Sorry...no pictures for this post. Burritos are not very photogenic ;)

No comments: