Sunday, January 10, 2010

Jeff Buckley Brunch

I absolutely love cooking on Sundays. The day seems to lend itself to a slow start, time for planning and time for enjoying. After a small shopping trip to the surprisingly uncrowded co-op (where members who complete work hours now receive a 5% discount!), I came home and cleaned my fridge and kitchen. I love organizing my refrigerator. It makes preparing meals so easy. And of course, I cannot function in my kitchen unless all the dishes are cleaned and put away, leaving me with enough counter space to work.

So with coffee brewing, Jeff Buckley crooning in the background and abundant sunshine streaming through the windows, I prepared a scrambled everything egg brunch. As you read through the recipe, you'll see that it's very adaptable to your own tastes. I've listed my own preferences and ingredient quantities.

What You Need:
  • Cooking oil
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 large clove of garlic
  • 1 full slice of white onion
  • 1 small red potato
  • 3 slices of a green bell pepper
  • Black beans (drained and rinsed from can)
  • Sea Salt
  • Shredded Mexican blend cheese
What You Do:
  • Pour a small amount of cooking oil into a large frying pan and let it warm.
  • Wash and cut the potato and add it to the oil with a sprinkling of sea salt. Since the potato will take the longest of any ingredients to cook, allow the pieces to get a golden brown color on both sides (stir them around a bit) while you are cutting up the rest of the ingredients.
  • Next, add the minced garlic and onion. Allow them to brown and the potato to absorb some of the flavor.
  • The chopped pepper slices and black beans are last since they cook the fastest, and I love my bell peppers to still be a little crunchy.
  • Now, with my whisk at the ready, I cracked the two eggs into the frying pan and immediately began whisking them with the other ingredients. I wanted scrambled eggs, not fried eggs, so I didn't want to allow time for them to cook flat on the pan.
  • After the eggs were scrambled and all the ingredients were well mixed, I added a handful of shredded cheese and stirred it into the egg scramble to let it melt.
In my mind, I must have been wishing I was preparing this for two, because it made a large quantity of food (the finished scramble filled a large dinner plate). I really love these one-dish meals that have your protein, veggies, etc. all cooked into one item. It makes clean-up so easy! It's also fun to prepare because all you need are the key ingredients (eggs), but can change what is added based on whatever veggies or cheese you have on hand.

1 comment:

Christina said...

Ohh I like that last pic!