Saturday, April 4, 2009

Smells like summer

In my mind, one version of summer smells like fresh basil. This is for sunny days with a little bit of a breeze - the ones when the sunlight is brighter than all the lights in your house could ever be. Basil has such a fresh, clean smell which is why I probably associate it with sunlight and fresh air coming in through open windows. To compliment the day, I made this light afternoon snack. The weather in Philly has been iffy for the past couple of days, leaving me with an incredible headache I can't kick. With that said, I haven't had much of an appetite today, so a little before 5 p.m., this Caprese Salad is my first meal of the day...

What you need:
  • Vine-ripened tomatoes (bonus points if they're from your garden this summer!)
  • Balls of fresh mozzarella
  • Fresh basil (bonus points again if they come from your herb garden)
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
What you do:
  • Wash and slice the tomatoes into desired thickness (I used one tomato - 4 full slices)
  • Slice fresh mozz into desired thickness - one slice of mozz per tomato slice
  • Rinse the basil leaves and mince. If you want extra flavor, you can bruise the leaves with the back of a spoon before mincing.
  • Drizzle with EVOO
  • Enjoy and be refreshed!

No comments: