Sunday, July 19, 2009

A Big Breakfast

Waking up to a beautiful Sunday morning, I grabbed my sunglasses, the July issue of Better Homes and Gardens magazine and my dog, and headed to the backyard for a little morning sunshine. While reading the Better Health section, I learned several tips for a better start to your day. I am a chronic over-sleeping, trying to get every last minute of being curled up in bed as possible. This leaves me little time for excess activities, including breakfast at home. I usually bring something to work and don't eat until around 10 or 11. One of the tips in this month's magazine was to eat a filling breakfast. A study found that dieting women who ate a 610 calorie breakfast (compared to those who ate 290) had lost about 40 pounds each. The eaters of the light breakfast only lost around 10 pounds each. For the record, I'm not on a major pound-shedding mission, but I do like to make sure I'm choosing the healthier options for meals and giving my body what it needs, when it needs it. So this morning, it was a big breakfast for me when I came back inside!

What I Made:
  • A glass of water when waking up
  • 1 cup of Equal Exchange (fair trade) Tanzanian Jubilee coffee with organic 1/2 and 1/2
  • 1 hearty grains English muffin with Smart Balance
  • 4 large strawberries, sliced
  • 2-egg omelet (eggs from free range, vegetarian fed chickens), with diced sweet red pepper and a little bit of colby-jack cheese. Instead of cooking spray, I melted a little soy margarine in the bottom of the pan for a no-stick option.

No comments: