Friday, July 17, 2009

They're Here!

In my rooftop garden (I opted out of the shared in-ground veggie garden with the neighbors this year) is one of my favorite summertime treats - heirloom yellow pear tomatoes. When I first potted this plant, I added a little bit of worm castings as a 100% natural and chemical-free fertilizer, and since then I have been periodically adding coffee grounds. The tomato (and all the other) plants are doing great! Over the past couple of days I saw that a handful of the sweet little tomatoes were just about ready to be picked. It's salad time!

Believe it or not, I have never purchased a salad spinner, so before dinner tonight I went to the co-op and bought one. I don't think it's quite the most durably made kitchen accessory, but when making salad for one, it'll do. I wanted my usual salad greens, but the bin was empty...everyone else must be getting goodies from their gardens too :) Instead I picked up some romaine and I also bought a sweet red pepper. I already had carrots and raw sunflower seeds at home. I wanted a rainbow of a salad - the more colors, the more varied nutrients and phytochemicals! Unfortunately, once I made my salad (with all of the above and drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette), I was so ready to goggle it up that I got half way through before I remembered that I wanted to take a picture...oops!

So instead, here are a few of the tomatoes :)


No comments: