Saturday, July 18, 2009

Pizza Frites

My mom has been making pizza frites for as long as I can remember, and I was always excited when we were having them for dinner. What's not to love? It's fried dough and cheese! Any time I've shared these with people, they've begged for more...there's just something about them!

What You Need:
  • Dough (If you make your own, make a basic pizza dough. If you purchase ready-made dough either buy ready-to-use pizza dough or rising dough).
  • Mozzarella cheese ( I found hormone-free local cheese)
  • Cooking Oil (I like Smart Balance Omega)
  • Salt (optional)
  • Sauce (optional - any type of Italian sauce - marinara, pesto, etc.)
What You Do:
  • Let your dough rise if necessary. I used a ready-to-use pizza dough from a local Italian shop, so I just began pulling off pieces of dough about the size of a deck of cards or smaller.
  • Add just enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan and put it on the burner to get hot.
  • Stretch the piece of dough and either drop it in the oil plain or add a thin piece of mozz, fold the dough over, and drop it in the oil.
  • Let each side lightly brown and then remove from oil. It's best to put a paper towel on a plate and put the pizza frites on the towel to drain. If you want, lightly sprinkle with salt, but the cheese will add a but of saltiness so be careful not to overdo it!
  • Prepare sauce for dipping if you want.

1 comment:

Christina said...

Ohhh man I want some right now!