Sunday, August 23, 2009

Tilapia and Harvest Grains

I've always eaten a lot of white fish as part of my diet, until I went on a sprint as a vegetarian. Now I've reintroduced fish to my diet, and tilapia was first. On a trip to Trader Joe's this morning, I picked up farm raised tilapia and harvest grains, among a few other things. TJ's harvest grains is a hearty mix that makes a great side dish, or is substantial enough on its own with steamed veggies added. This was an easy, filling and healthy meal.

What You Need:
  • Fish of your choice
  • Grains (quinoa, cous cous, harvest grains mix, lentils, etc.)
  • Veggies (I added carrots)
  • Seasoning (For fish, grains and veggies, I love Salsa Lizano, a Costa Rican staple.)
What You Do:
  • A few hours prior to starting your meal, marinate your fish in a seasoning rub or sauce.
  • Cook your grains according to package directions. I've often had problems with TJ's harvest grains sticking to the bottom of the pot, despite following the cooking instructions. This time, I smartened up and used a deep, non-stick frying pan with a lid. What do you know...not a single grain wasted by being glued to the bottom of the pan.
  • Chop your veggies and toss in with the grains to steam.
  • As the grains are nearing their finish, start the fish. I did a pan-seared tilapia tonight by melting a little Smart Balance in the bottom of the pan and then cooked the fish on both sides until it was cooked through.
  • Make a nice little bed of grains on your plate, top with the fish and finish off with an extra dash of seasonings or drizzle of sauce if you choose.

2 comments:

Christina said...

cous cous is a pasta, technically.

Mmm this sounds good!

live pura vida said...

Well you call up Trader Joe's and tell them that...I didn't market the stuff! It's called Harvest Grains Blend and has Israeli style couscous, orzo (also a pasta), garbanzo beans and red quinoa. So out of all that, there's only 1 grain. Who knows...